Thread: Spongy brakes...tried everything!

Default Spongy brakes...tried everything!

Hopefully someone can help - I've changed both rear calipers, discs and pads on my 2001 8L A3 but the brake pedal keeps going to the floor.

I bled all four corners and there was only a small amount of air in the system. There doesn't appear to be any leaks anywhere.

The pedal will go pretty much to the floor and barely stop the car, but then if you pump it a few times it gets slightly better - before going to the floor again.

I've bled the ABS unit, bled the master cylinder, bled all four calipers again and if anything it is getting worse.

The only thing I can think of is a dodgy master cylinder - does anyone else have an idea of what could be causing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_JDUK View Post
    .....a man in a mx5.....surely not

Quote Originally Posted by Nth View Post
    Hopefully someone can help - I've changed both rear calipers, discs and pads on my 2001 8L A3 but the brake pedal keeps going to the floor.

I bled all four corners and there was only a small amount of air in the system. There doesn't appear to be any leaks anywhere.

The pedal will go pretty much to the floor and barely stop the car, but then if you pump it a few times it gets slightly better - before going to the floor again.

I've bled the ABS unit, bled the master cylinder, bled all four calipers again and if anything it is getting worse.

The only thing I can think of is a dodgy master cylinder - does anyone else have an idea of what could be causing it?
    You need to presume bleed the system should be fine after that

Quote Originally Posted by bora 55 View Post
    You need to presume bleed the system should be fine after that
    I have been using a pressure bleeder each time I bled the calipers/master cylinder/abs unit (such a useful tool!)

I saw something about some master cylinders having two bleed valves so I'm going to double check that but im sure there was only one when we did it on Saturday...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_JDUK View Post
    .....a man in a mx5.....surely not

Quote Originally Posted by Nth View Post
    I have been using a pressure bleeder each time I bled the calipers/master cylinder/abs unit (such a useful tool!)

I saw something about some master cylinders having two bleed valves so I'm going to double check that but im sure there was only one when we did it on Saturday...
    Most likely be the bleed nipples on the master cylinder Nath
    Oem lcr aka Christine
    Audi a6 c7 3.0tdi

I had this issue and had to use vagcom to activate the abs, then bleed all four corners again.
    2006 Polo (9N3)